Whether you are relocating house or relocating country, the tips are almost the same! Being organized is probably the key to a smooth move, but here are 20 different ideas to put into motion when relocating to a new City, State or Neighborhood.
- Find a local realtor to assist you – someone with experience and local knowledge. Read our post of How to Select The Right Real Estate Agent
- Choose your neighborhood carefully – it can impact your experience of your new city
- Visit in person don’t purchase a home without looking at the neighborhood, house and the location
- Make a list of things that need to get done before you embark on the move
- De-clutter – get rid of stuff you have not used in the last year
- Start a packing timeline – then stick to it, if you are not using a removal firm
- Pack a First Night Box
- Then box number 2 – the next most important things you will need
- Stay organized – prepare for the unexpected – know where the first aid box is and the tool box
- Write which room the box is for, then color code the box tape so you can easily spot each room items from a glance. Write a quick synopsis of what is in the box
- Removal firms – check their client reviews
- Does the removal firm use their own staff and trucks or are they subcontracting the move?
- Have an arrival plan and unpacking schedule – tape it onto a door/window so its easy to find when you cannot think straight
- Pack out the beds and make them up straight away – that way, when you are tired, you do not have to wonder where your bedding is, or still have to make the beds
- Kids rooms, make sure they are packed out quickly with at least their familiar bedding and toys around them.
- Have a checklist of things you need to do when you get to your new location – utilities, cable, schools, doctors, dentists
- Find your neighborhood resource (like the Nextdoor or Facebook Group) and ask for recommendations for doctors, dentists, etc
- Become local quickly – find the new norm and adjust to it – it makes your life easier and your family will settle more easily
- If your children have good friends in the neighborhood / State you left, setup a phone call / Facetime or Skype call so that they can connect and they won’t feel quite so lost without their buddies
- Familiarize yourself with your new area – look at the map and find the main attractions, that will help you understand locations more easily
Your realtor should be a great source of information when you are relocating. You can ask them for the local information before you ever consider the move. They should have a resource folder with relocation information that could help you on your way to settling more quickly and easily.
Moving to the Carolinas? The Gaddy Group are locals – we relocated here many years ago and we have a great amount of local knowledge and information that we can share with you. Please contact us, we would love to be your guide to a happy lifestyle in the beautiful Carolinas.
Copyright: wavebreakmediamicro / 123RF Stock Photo
NEW LISTINGS FORT MILL, ROCK HILL, CLOVER, LAKE WYLIE, TEGA CAY SC